- We seek to empower the disadvantaged and the excluded in efforts
to bring about a more just and equitable world. We recognize their rights
and leadership potential, as well as their abilities to advocate on their
own behalf and to participate in all efforts to improve their lives,
their communities and the world at large.
- We respect and support our grantees, and work in partnership with
them, providing a range of resources to develop their long-term institutional
health and effectiveness.
- We believe a fundamental role of government is to advance social
and economic justice and protect human rights. We encourage our grantees
to include policy advocacy among their strategies for promoting rights
and improving the quality of life.
- We take risks: we fund where others can’t or won’t,
taking the lead on controversial, difficult and underfunded issues; we
invest in new ideas, leaders, and strategies to test new approaches to
- We believe that diversity is essential to organizational creativity
and strength; we challenge ourselves, our grantees and our colleagues
to build more inclusive organizations -- at all levels -- and to value
and benefit from the unique perspectives, history and voices that diversity
- We strive to build a community at Moriah that reflects our values
for the world at large, fostering respect, diversity, growth and opportunity
within our organization.